In the introduction of "Smart Mobs" by Reingold, he mentions that soon there will be more mobile phones connected to the internet than PCs. This seems very possible to me.
Even now, it seems like people are more connected to their phones than their computers. Of course, this is due to the fact that their phones are like miniature computers. I remember when having an Iphone wasn't very common but now it seems like everyone has one or is expected to have one. In one of my classes the professor once said "On your Iphones you can..." well, I guess it's assumed that everyone has an Iphone..or I must've overlooked that requirement for the class.
Reingold also talks about how we have to judge whether we can trust the people on the internet. Whether it is to make a purchase, reading comments about a product, etc. I love to shop online but in order to do so I don't have much choice but to trust that I won't regret entering my credit card number later. Also, I have to trust the reviews that other customers have written about the product. Although, I know my experience with the product may be different from theirs, I must trust that their opinions won't differ drastically form mine.
Monday, May 31, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
The funny thing is (well, kind of) is that having an Iphone is really only expected in first-world countries such as the United States. I wonder how long it will take for mobile internet to take over the world, when most people (including me) can't afford an Iphone or internet on my cell.
ReplyDeleteyeah it's kind of sad that it's expected anywhere though. everyone's too dependent on it.
ReplyDeleteI have a friend who just came back from Hong Kong and he told me that iPhone is even more popular there, like literally everyone has one. I can see that it could be very useful to have one but being broke and anti-apple that i am, i will never get one or just internet on my phone for that matter.
ReplyDelete