Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Week 8: Adbusters

I have several times in the last few months asked myself what it would take for me to delete my facebook profile. I am very uncomfortable with the following tendencies I have seen myself to display, when it comes to facebook: A) When I am on the internet, regardless of whether it's for school, some other responsibility, or leisure, I find myself randomly dragging my mouse up to the facebook bookmark at random intervals. I could be in the middle of reading a homework assignment and facebook will take agency of my attention. I don't like that. B) Upon being on facebook, a lot of my time is definitely spent in the same way the author of the Adbusters article spent his time on facebook. I spend a lot of my time looking at my own profile, checking up on my photos, and thinking of status updates. It's humiliating. I have even gotten to the point where sometimes I'll be in public, far from a computer, and find myself thinking about my next facebook status. This creeps me out. For the above reasons I have considerd deleting my facebook, just as the author of the Adbusters article did, but what differentiates me from him is that I am capable of telling myself when it is not the time to be perusing facebook. If I have work to do, or if I'm on a tight schedule, I don't allow myself to be sucked into the facebook world. I also believe that facebook has enabled so many people to keep in touch with random acquaintances that they would not have been able to contact otherwise. Some people, like my father, see this as a bad thing. My dad thinks that if it doesn't come naturally, facebook shouldn't egg any sort of social relationship on. I disagree. I like how many people I can keep up with now, and the fact that it is becoming somewhat normal to receive a friend request from someone I haven't seen since the 5th grade. Lastly, facebook keeps people of various communities connected to events, groups, and news that pertains to their interests. So in conclusion, while I do feel threatened by my self-absorbed tendencies that facebook brings about, I will not delete for the time being because its benefits are too valuable to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment